Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

2 posters

Go down

WHAT DO YOU THINK? Empty WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Post  kayla Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:41 pm

I took this article from http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=639764. What do you all think?

South Australian Premier Mike Rann will push for ambitious targets at Thursday's Council of Australian Governments (COAG) meeting in Perth to make buildings more energy efficient.

In a warning against going it alone, the government's climate change adviser said only a global solution was valid.

And that was to be studied at next year's Copenhagen meeting to consider the next round of the Kyoto agreement.

Prof Garnaut said the world was nowhere near effective global cooperation.

He said the economic costs of action on climate change were manageable but the global politics were almost insurmountable.

"Let's face the reality - the only solution will be a global solution," he told ABC radio.

"Australia could cut emissions to zero, could do it tomorrow - it couldn't actually do it, but if it did do it - it would have almost no effect on global warming.

"If we did ourselves great damage in the process we would become an example to the world of how foolish it is (to) mitigate.

"If you do ambitious things domestically within a global agreement it is much cheaper, much more successful and could become an example of success."

In his report released Tuesday, Prof Garnaut said the best result for Australia would be a global atmospheric carbon concentration of 450 parts per million (ppm).

If the world agreed to pursue that, Australia had to cut emissions by 25 per cent by 2020, and by 90 per cent by 2050.

Prof Garnaut said he was seeking to introduce realism into a debate which at home and abroad had been characterised by delusion.

"If we had an international agreement that was actually working around a reasonably ambitious outcome but not the ideal one, then you would build confidence that the world could actually deal with that problem without bringing prosperity to an end," he said.

Prof Garnaut said that would inspire confidence to go further.

"The very worst outcome would be a lot of high sounding principles being agreed upon at the end of next year at Copenhagen but there being no substance behind them," he said.

"The world can't afford to have that happen again. It happened more or less at Kyoto."
[i]
kayla
kayla

http://www.myspace.com/sweet_little_frangipani

Back to top Go down

WHAT DO YOU THINK? Empty Ross G report

Post  The Toad Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:56 am

I don’t know much about it but i know that much that 25% by 2020 when other countries commit as well is by fare not enough and a 10% target if other countries don’t is just pathetic. Also the idea of stabilising the climate a t 450 parts is just plain and simply wrong as Adrian told us. (his name was Adrian wasn’t it?) I reckon the report falls way short and is disappointing. The interesting thing tho is that Ross G actually seems to know how inadequate his report is. He seems to be stuck obeying the government and its expectations which probably is controlling the report anyway. Sort of like “if u make the targets to high will fire u but if they are low let’s say 25 to 10% will be happy”
The Toad
The Toad

Back to top Go down

WHAT DO YOU THINK? Empty Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Post  kayla Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:18 am

i did think it was a bit stupid when i heard about it.
he's not going about it in the right way.
TAKE SOME INITIATIVE!

i know the guy you're talking about, his name was adrian whitehead.
he was a great speaker.
kayla
kayla

http://www.myspace.com/sweet_little_frangipani

Back to top Go down

WHAT DO YOU THINK? Empty Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum