Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monday 10/11the age article about the logging in gipssland

3 posters

Go down

Monday 10/11the age article about the logging in gipssland Empty Monday 10/11the age article about the logging in gipssland

Post  The Toad Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:27 am

hey guys just informing u about the article
well the bulldozers have arrived in the brown mountains one of old growth forest left. The wilderness society and co are calling for the government to keep their election promise to stop all logging of old growth forest immediately. While the forestry, Barry Vaughen believes it to be " i believe this to be a more sophisticated and more sustainable way of producing natural resouces" then importing timber and plantation timber.
The opinion pages where very interesting to read, the wilderness society and co rebuttaled the argument well. The only ones for it were, well was a guy from what organisation?? that’s right a media spokesmen from the instituted of Foresters of Australia.
and there was this one environmentalist who strangely said that land management fro fire protection is more important than preserving old growth forest?? i didn’t quite get his argument but fire prevention does make scence.

Ill bring the articles on Saturday for you to read Smile

Read the news there is some great stuff in there but don’t belive everything you read......

I reckon we should put an article or comment together in the preparation of the cement creek really. We can put VISEN at the bottom of the article and get us out in the public and maybe be noticed....
Cement Greek is part of a water catchment??
The Toad
The Toad

Back to top Go down

Monday 10/11the age article about the logging in gipssland Empty Re: Monday 10/11the age article about the logging in gipssland

Post  Maja Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:29 am

i don't know about the arguement for fire protection.
doesn't logging only makes the area more susceptible to fire? in place of the forest native grassesand small shrubs grow... and they dry out a lot quicker and therefore burn faster.
but that's just what i've read.

with the article, do you mean in a newspaper of some sort? getting the news out about cement creek (and visen) is a great idea.
Maja
Maja

Back to top Go down

Monday 10/11the age article about the logging in gipssland Empty Re: Monday 10/11the age article about the logging in gipssland

Post  Nikkola Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:49 am

Hello everyone. Just a quick note to say how disappointed I was to see there was only a photograph in The Age yesterday about the walk, with a tiny caption. But at least it was on the second page, whereas I don't think it was even mentioned in The Herald Sun. But I expected as much so...

I'm going to write a letter to the editor of The Age talking about the fact that we were a teeny bit misrepresented, and that the whole point of the walk was to wake people up about global warming, not have it belittled, but at least we were in it, and talk a bit about VISEN and the petition and stuff.
Good idea or no? Because I've got to do it soon if it's going to get in...

Also, anyone else who saw the "article" (cough! loose term) realise you couldn't see us, poor VISEN? Depressing... but the photo did kinda look impressive......
Nikkola
Nikkola

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum